Skip to content

Anglican (Church of England or Church in Wales) Marriage

The church or chapel you can get married in varies depending on your circumstances, although it is usually somewhere local. More information can be found on the official Church of England or Church in Wales websites.

Once chosen, you will need to contact the resident religious official (such as a vicar or bishop) who will arrange the ceremony and advise you of the legal formalities.

The registration service will not have any involvement in an Anglican marriage as all contact is between you and the religious official at the place of worship. On some occasions, however, a Registrar may need to attend, but the religious official will advise if this is the case.

Same-sex Marriage

For same-sex couples, even with the introduction of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, religious freedom means that you will need to check that the relevant religious organisation allows for the marriage of same-sex couples and that the premise has been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples.

Back to your ceremony