Skip to content

British and Irish Nationals and those with EU settled or pre-settled status

Giving legal notice of marriage or civil partnership

In England or Wales, before you can marry or enter into a civil partnership, you must each give legal notice (in person and by appointment) in the district where you live or have resided for at least 7 clear days (prior to your appointment).

  • You cannot ask a friend or relative to attend and give notice for you.
  • You will need to provide certain documents. Details will be given when you make your appointment.
  • There is a statutory fee of £35 for each notice given.
  • You can give notice at the same time, or on different days, but the ceremony cannot take place until 28 clear days have passed for each person.
  • Certain information is publicly displayed for 28 clear days.

Your ceremony can take place after 28 clear days and within 12 months of giving notice.


How to make an appointment if you are a British or Irish citizen

If you live or have resided in the county of Leicestershire for at least 7 clear days, contact us to make an appointment at a registration office.

If you live or have resided in the City of Leicester for at least 7 clear days, follow instructions on the Leicester City Council website.

If you are an EU or EEA citizen with settled or pre-settled status you will need to complete the EU or EEA Citizens form.

To submit your form, you must include:

  • A share code which can be found at and is the share code which is not to show your right to work or to rent.
  • If applicable, any divorce documentation which was granted outside of the United Kingdom –  a scan of that divorce will need to be emailed along with a translation if it is not in English.  There is an additional statutory fee to be paid for the approval of any foreign divorce depending on the country, which could be either £50 or £75.

Completed forms and any additional documents should be emailed to

Once the form is received and the code has been checked, you will receive a call to make an appointment for your notices of marriage or civil partnership and/or to book your ceremony.

What to take

The list of acceptable documents can be found on the UK Government website. They will need to be originals, not copies.

back to your ceremony