Skip to content

Marriage in All Other Religions

You are able to marry in a religious building (that is approved for worship and marriage) if it is situated in the registration district where one or both of you reside.

You may, however, be married in a religious building in a district where neither of you resides, if it is the usual place of worship of one or both of you.

As well as contacting the religious official of your chosen religious building, you will also need to give notice as part of the legal formalities.

You must ensure the religious building has an Authorised Person to register your marriage. If not, you may need to book a Registrar to register your marriage. If this applies to you, please contact us as soon as possible to see if a Registrar is available.

Same-sex Marriage

For same-sex couples, even with the introduction of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, religious freedom means that you will need to check that the relevant religious organisation allows for the marriage of same-sex couples and that the premise has been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples.

Back to your ceremony